Brand Name: Doxepin
DOXEPIN (Sinequan®) belongs to a group of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants. Doxepin can lift your spirits and relieve your depression. Generic doxepin capsules are available.Doxepin is in a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. Doxepin affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression. Doxepin hydrochloride is one of a class of psychotherapeutic agents known as dibenzoxepin tricyclic compounds.
Uses of Adapin
- Doxepin ( Adapin, Sinequan, Zonalon ) is an antidepressants, used in the treatment of many types of depression: refractory depression, major depression, mixed depression anxiety,neurotic depression, spontaneous endogenous depression.
- Doxepin ( Adapin, Sinequan, Zonalon ) can also be used for the treatment of anxiety, chronic skin disorders, itching,panic disorders, peptic ulcer disease, postprandial hypoglycemia, posttraumatic stress disorder ( PTSD ), sleep disorders, or to stop the cravings of smoking, swelling, and to decrease nightly urination.
- Doxepin ( Adapin, Sinequan, Zonalon ) has been used to combat chronic pain in, arthritis, diabetic disease, herpes lesions, migraines, pain in cancer patients, tension headaches, or tic douloureux.
How to Take Adapin
- Take doxepin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take each dose with a full glass (8 oz) of water.
- Doxepin may be taken several times a day or in one daily dose (usually at bedtime). Follow your doctor’s instructions.
- It may be several weeks before you start to feel better, but do not stop taking doxepin without first talking to your doctor.
What are the Side Effects of Adapin Medication
This medicine can cause many side effects. The most common are:
- dry mouth
- weight gain.
Warnings and precautions before taking Adapin Medication
- Tricyclic antidepressants may also give rise to paralytic ileus, particularly in the elderly and in hospitalized patients. Therefore, appropriate measures should be taken if constipation occurs.
- When doxepin is given concomitantly with anticholinergic or sympathomimetic drugs, close supervision and careful adjustment of dosages are required.
- Doxepin should be discontinued prior to elective surgery for as long as the clinical situation will allow.
- Doxepin should be used with caution in patients with impaired liver function or with a history of hepatic damage or blood dyscrasias. Periodic blood counts and liver function tests should be performed when patients receive doxepin in large doses or over prolonged periods.
- This medicine should NOT be used by those having take MAO inhibitors in the last two weeks, by those with narrow angle glaucoma, or by those with cardiac rhythm problems.
- It should NOT be abruptly discontinued.
- Elderly patients generally should avoid this medicine, if possible, due to the increased chance of dizziness and falls.
- This medicine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Alcoholic beverages can increase the side effects of this medicine and should be avoided.
What drugs may interact with Adapin Tablet
- Possible drug interactions may occur with phenobarbital causing a decrease in the effect of the medications. Severe blood pressure problems and seizure can occur with taken with MAO inhibitors.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
What to do if you take Overdose of Adapin ?
Symptoms of an doxepin overdose include:
- hallucinations and low blood pressure (dizziness, fatigue, fainting).
How to Store Adapin ?
Store doxepin at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.